Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Richards Chapter 6

Richards, J. (2001). Curriculum development in language teaching. Planning
goals
and learning outcomes (pp. 145-197). New York: Cambridge University Press.


This chapter mainly goes over various processes that are entailed in planning and developing a language program of course development. It is based on the aims and objectives of instructional materials. These include the rationale, entry and exit levels, course content, sequence, syllabus and instructional blocks, and the preparation of the scope and sequence. They make not happen in order, and may require revision each time a course is taught.

I didn’t know that there are so many names for syllabus, and the procedures it takes to write one. I haven’t been part of a curriculum planning, and it gives me an insight of what Rachael must do in the district office. I also have a better understanding of the course content. The Yugtun Upingaurluta material implemented by the district office is not systematical to the immersion program from my understanding of the course content. The thematic units language proficiency levels seem to higher for the immersion students.

I believe the LKSD school district has a lexical syllabus. There are lists of sight words that the students have to read, know, and they increase as the student progress through the grades. There is one for math, reading, and writing. LKSD ladies, correct me if I’m wrong.

No comments: