Sunday, July 27, 2008

Triadic scaffolds

Meskill, C. (2005). Triadic scaffolds: Tools for teaching English language learners with computers. Language Learning& Technology, 9. 46-59.

This article is about a study on teaching English to elementary second language learners, using the computer as the basis to teach the school language. The aim of the study is to examine the results of computer-supported language instruction, in particular to at risk English language learners using scaffolding and literacy learning through computers. Through the implementation of teaching English, the students were motivated, their attention was anchored to learning, and they were able to visually see and hear the meaning of what the teacher was talking about.

I was impressed with the teacher in the article. As I was reading this part of the article, I was picturing myself teaching my students in this context using the Powerpoint game I’ve made for this class. They’d be totally involved, especially since it’s electronic. Most of my students already interact with some form of media electronic in their homes. It’ll be an added boost to teach Yugtun in this context, and it seems to be a great way to focus on form that is fun for the students! It would be nice to see a video of this interaction between the students and the teacher.

No comments: