Thursday, November 20, 2008

Perogoy & Boyle’s Reading Assessment and Instruction, Chap 10

This chapter focuses on informal reading assessments, as well as the forms of communication (oral language, reading, and writing) to show the strengths and weaknesses of the students.

As teachers, we must determine the language proficiency of our students in reading, writing, listening, and speaking. We can capture this through different forms of reading assessments and instructions. As found in the article they included the informal reading inventory where we can capture the students reading proficiency, comprehension, decoding skills for a reading level (independent, instructional or frustration), and retelling skills. From the information that was gathered through running records, miscue analysis, observations during guided reading (a way of linking assessment to instruction), as well as different forms of reading mentioned in the article, teachers can decide what to concentrate for their instruction. Similar to Valdez/O’Malley’s article, this article also mentioned the importance of student background/language knowledge, and literacy experiences for information for reading experiences.

The part I liked from reading this article was the ReQuest procedure. My students do not ask questions after and during reading, even though I encourage them to ask questions. I am planning to begin teaching my students to ask questions similar to the game found in page 407 by a primary teacher. I’m hoping in doing this, my students will begin asking questions.

Something that I learned is: “barking a print”, a term used for reading word to word found in page 379. In Yugtun reading, this would be syllable-by-syllable reading in our polysynthetic language. Most of the Yugtun immersion first graders are in this stage. I often have to consider the length of the word when they read for reading proficiency, especially when they answered the comprehension questions correctly.

Other off subject note: My sons are participating in the Bethel Regional wrestling tournament this weekend, and I hope they do well!

4 comments:

~Superwoman~ said...

Hi Carol, SCM wrestlers should be there this weekend too! Enjoy the weekend. :D

sarahbass said...

Carol (Right?)
In response to the questioning of students, I was thinking.....it was not okay for me as a child to question my Elders. I'm thinking that this trait is still being carried by our students. Interesting isn't it?
My students have a hard time asking for clarification as well. Ends up I'm asking and they're answering. I'm hoping eventually when they're ready they will start asking!
Sarah

angass'aq said...

only one time did a child ask me a question. and that was after I went around our group asking them to point to title, title page, author. When I was done he says, "now your turn. Nauwa kalikam atra?" I thought that was so cute. question I have is when do we start teaching kids to ask questions, like from the book?

languagemcr said...

Interesting discussion about question asking. I do think this is rooted in cultural practices. Maybe questioning should occur in a different context... I would like to discuss this more in class.
Marilee