Monday, October 27, 2008

Solano-Flores' Who is Given Tests...

After reading this article, it made me think of our schools, and districts current Yugtun reading assessments. The reading assessments come from tests aimed for Yugtun First Language (YFL) students. The tests for reading involve comprehension questions where the language assumes that the student will understand. I often adjust the questions to my current students understanding, mostly using gestures. This is like adjusting the question for an English Language Learner (ELL). The way I translate is different from another teacher, so the test might be invalid.
The language I use to ask the questions come from my dialect and I often revert to the dialect they’ve learned in Kindergarten. There isn’t an official standardized Yugtun language, and if there were one, I’d have to question if my students know this language, like an ELL test has to consider. Another thing is that dialectal differences have to be taken into consideration when giving a test.
The whom portion of the test is the teacher. The way I rate the test is different from another teacher, as well for an ELL administrator/rater for their test. Ratings might be different from each teacher, the number of years of learning the language differs for each student, and as well as the proficiency of the language they’re learning. It makes you question the validity of the test you administer. The student who has more exposure to the Yugtun language will most likely score better than the student who had only a few years of instruction. Like ELL students, our Yugtun immersion students need many years to develop their language before given a language test. Another consideration to take is the number of times they were tested. I’ve seen a student who memorized a test, and has become invalid.
The where of the student is the environment their taking the test. Like, I’ve said in the beginning, the reading assessment test my students take is aimed for YFL students. The approach that I use is different for an YFL teacher for the reading assessment. The approach that an ELL depends on what they determine to be proficient in their school/environment.
The article overall explains more in detail the complications of testing for ELL students. What is categorized in another state for ELL is different for each state. The way ELL students are accommodated, labeling of proficiency, administrations of tests, and how they rate their students are different through out the state.
Something I need more clarification on is the G-theory.

1 comment:

angass'aq said...

Your right that the Reading, Math and Writing tests are for YFL students. Even in kindergarten some tests are hard to give. This year I'm trying out teaching the students to answer who, what, where, & why, something I never thought to do. I've tried this out for two weeks, and a lot of the students still need practice answering. I hear somewhere that it takes 47 times to hear something to internalize it? Something like that.