Saturday, September 13, 2008

Maori Approaches to Assessments (2007)

This article reminded me of how we assess our children at home through our ways of knowing and being, as we are Yup’ik. The way the Maori assessed their children is through family and community. It is the family and the community to decide if the child learned the appropriate skills, knowledge, and attitude to bring out the good of their community, family, and themselves. They use authentic assessments like a mother would observe and decide if her daughter has become proficient in cutting up a fish, and be approved by an elder. The Maori way of assessments is about ways of knowing and being in their culture.

As I was growing up, I remember first observing my grandmother cutting up a seal. When I wanted to help, she didn’t discourage me. As I took the uluaq, she didn’t criticize the way I was cutting it. Her ways of knowing that I would become advanced with practice was impressive with her. When I made my first cut of the seal part, she told me to bring it to my other grandma, my grandmother’s sister. When I brought it to their house, I opened their door and stood in front of the door until I was acknowledged. This is something that was taught to me to respect when you enter another house. My parents and grandpa were so proud of me, and it was greatly valued by them. Each time my dad and uncle brought a seal home; I would continue to help my grandmother. I soon passed the assessment when I cut up a whole seal by myself.

The way we assess our students in school has changed because of the high stake tests that our students have to take. Parents and educators are worried about making AYP. Teachers are teaching to tests, and it falters the students from learning things that are meaningful to their surroundings. Schools are not assessing students on what is outside of the classroom. It is shameful that we don’t recognize the risks that the students take, and take into consideration the funds of knowledge the students bring to the school. School assessments causes students to feel like failures when they haven’t passed their tests, and it causes for discouragement.

I wonder how the children would be if they were assessed the way our elders assessed us as we were growing up?

1 comment:

languagemcr said...

Your comment relates to Theresa's about having elders assessing children. Yes, I wonder...
Marilee